Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Fire


I don't know if you've been watching the news or listening to the radio, but Colorado Springs (where I live) is a little bit on fire at the moment. I've been listening to 105.5 constantly for the past few days, and the weather people sound really excited whenever they mention stuff like "Pyrocumulous Clouds" and "Fire Tornados", but manage to rein it in just enough to not be psychos. My Dominos graciously donated 40 large pizzas to the evacuees who were sent to the evacuation center in Monument. At first I thought it was trivial, even callous to give these people pizza; "Hey, sorry your house is burning down, did you want a veggie lovers or pepperoni?" In retrospect though, free pizza isn't going to make people feel any worse, will it? Hopefully all of the burnination will be resolved soon, we have over 200 additional fire fighters coming into town to join the 800+ already working their asses off. To any F-Fighters out there: Best of luck, and thank you for your service.

One of the reasons this fire is getting so out of hand is the record heat that we have been having here. For over a week the temperature has been in the 90's, staying in the 80s every night. I live in a three story house without air conditioning, and the top floor is almost a sauna. Whenever I go to the bathroom I expect to find a creepy old dude wearing only a towel and seven gold necklaces sitting on the counter smoking a cigar*. When I go out on the balcony to watch the world burn, I can feel heat emanating from the doorway behind me as strong as a space heater. After two days of sleeping on top of the covers, with the fan full blast, in the buff, I gave up and started sleeping in the basement.

Even my cat is feeling the effects of the heat. Just look at her; too tired and lazy to put any serious effort into pissing me off. Notice how she isn't even bothering to lie directly on my keyboard, only half-assedly sticking her feet over the edge?. She is too overheated to fully concentrate on inconveniencing me

*Movies have shown me that the only people that go to saunas are creepy old dudes and really hot chicks, neither of which seem to be able to wear towels properly.


I saw Brave. It has some of the most impressive animation I've ever seen, but the story is a little... meh. Its one of those classic "The plot only works if the main character decides to do something incredibly stupid" deals. The story also manages to be simple, yet confusing at the same time. The soundtrack is amazing though, Patrick Doyle integrates bagpipes and tin-whistles into the modern orchestra quite well, making the score come off as very Scottish, but not old fashioned. As an added bonus, all of the songs are sung completely in Gaelic! Worth seeing, but walk, don't run to do so. 6.5/10

1 comment:

  1. Really? a 6.5? I can't tell if that is generous or harsh... The main character was too inconsistent with her opinions. Then again, I remember what it was like to be a 16-18 yr old girl, and it's pretty much spot-on behaviorwise. I liked the movie but wasn't all that impressed. I liked Angus. He was cool. I will say that the kids in the audience made the movie way better in my opinion. They get excited easily which makes me excited for them.

    As for the fire, I'm surprised you still have work, and I'm thankful you haven't been evacuated. I think people would be grateful for free food. It's one less thing they have to buy since I'm guessing the majority of them didn't pack their entire fridge while evacuating. Props to businesses giving what they can.

    Also Also, I think your house DOES have air conditioning but it hasn't been activated/turned on much like the sprinkler system. In the meantime, you can trick yourself into feeling cooler by putting your feet in cold water or a damp, cool towel on your face or head. Also stop being naked. That's gross. I'm betting your cat, salamander, and 20 or so crickets don't want to see that.

    ReplyDelete